What’s Up with Wheatgrass?
Wheatgrass is often called “Liquid Sunshine” because it contains a very high content of chlorophyll. We're talkin' about 70 percent which means it has a HIGHLY ENERGIZING and ALKALIZING effect (POW!). Wheatgrass is a young grass of the wheat plant and is harvested early when its nutrient and mineral content are at its peak. Research has also found that the chlorophyll molecule is remarkably similar to hemoglobin in the blood. Experiments have shown that our body is able to convert chlorophyll into hemoglobin thereby enriching our blood (DOUBLE POW!).
If that’s not enough reason to enrich your diet with wheatgrass, the Hippocrates Institute lists 20 characteristics that make wheatgrass one of the very best things you can put in your body:
1. One of the richest sources of vitamins A and C
2. Contains a full, balanced spectrum of readily assimilated B vitamins including laetrile (B17), which has been credited with selectively destroying certain cancer cells without affecting normal cells
3. Contains high-quality organic calcium, phosphorous, magnesium, sodium, and potassium in a balanced ratio
4. Provides organic iron to the blood, which improves our circulation which can help with anemia
5. Contains 92 of the 102 trace minerals recognized as available in plants
6. The most effective form of chlorophyll therapy
7. Assists in reducing blood pressure
8. Similar to the chemical molecular structure of human red blood cells, thereby enhancing the blood’s capacity to carry oxygen to every cell of the body
9. Assists in eliminating drug deposits from the body
10. Purifies the liver
11. Helps wounds heal faster
12. Counteracts metabolic toxins in the body
13. Combats blood sugar problems
14. Has been credited with halting both hair loss and hair graying
15. Aids in relieving constipation
16. Increases resistance to radiation and eliminates the symptoms of radiation poisoning
17. Acts as a disinfectant by killing bacteria in the blood, lymph, and tissues
18. Helps bad breath and body odor by detoxifying the lymphatic system and the gastro intestinal system
19. Aids and prevents candidiasis by providing an antimicrobial environment for further growth of bacteria and fungus in the body
20. Considered a complete food because it contains all of the necessary amino acids for the human body
So as the seasons turn and the days are getting darker, think about ways you can incorporate some “Liquid Sunshine” into your diet to receive the myriad benefits from wheatgrass! Just remember, whatever you consume, always bless your heart, mind, and soul!